ALERT: Effective January 4, 2021, a new Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) began offering handgun transfer services to the public. Pursuant to D.C. Official Code § 7-2504.10, because there are now active FFLs offering services to the public, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) will no longer provide handgun transfer services. All new FFL business will go through private FFL dealers. All business originally received by MPD will be completed by MPD.
The Metropolitan Police Department is the agency responsible for registering firearms in the District of Columbia. By being familiar with the law and the process, you will be able to quickly and easily register your weapon and ensure that you are in compliance with the District’s laws regarding proper registration and safekeeping of your weapon. If you wish to register a firearm or apply for a License to Carry a handgun, both must be done through an appointment (scheduling link below).
- Firearm Registration
- License to Carry a Handgun
- Online Carry License Renewal
- HR-218 Renewal
- Cancel Gun Registration Request
- Update Information on Record (address change, etc.)
- Concealed Carry Firearms Training Instructors
- Disposal of Unwanted Firearms
- Transporting a Firearm
- Mace, Pepper Spray, Self-Defense Sprays and Stun Guns
- Payment Information and Fees
- Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPOs)
Individuals must make an appointment through the link below to obtain requests for records in person.