Like cars and trucks, motorcycles, motorized bicycles, Segways, and mopeds must be operated safely on city streets. Minibikes, ATVs, and dirt bikes are designed for off-road use and may not be driven on city streets, sidewalks, or any other public space within the District of Columbia.
What can I ride on city streets?
- It is illegal to ride or operate a minibike, dirt bike or All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) anywhere on public space in the District of Columbia (including streets, sidewalks, alleyways, bike lanes, public trails and other public locations).
- It is okay to ride mopeds, motorized bicycles, and motorcycles on the street, but not on city sidewalks. Note that non-motorized bicycles and Segways are permitted to be ridden on the sidewalk in neighborhoods outside the Central Business District or any area specifically prohibited by the Mayor.
No matter what or where you ride, obey traffic and safety laws and yield to pedestrians. And don’t forget to wear a helmet for your own protection!
What if I see these vehicles being operated on DC's streets?
Because it is illegal to ride ATVs, minibikes and other motorized vehicles on public space in the District, the Department offers a reward of up to $250 to anyone who provides information that leads to the successful recovery of a vehicle being operated illegally on public space and the identity of the driver. See the Bonus to Phone Us: Off Road program for details.
Illegal on Public Space
- All Terrain Vehicle (ATV)
- Dirt Bike
Legal on DC Streets (Not Sidewalks)
- Motorized Bicycle
Legal on DC Streets or Sidewalks
- Bicycle (Non-Motorized)
- Segway (Non-motorized bicycles and Segways may be ridden on the sidewalk in neighborhoods outside the central business district unless specifically prohibited by the Mayor.)
Know the Law About Mini Bikes and Other Vehicles (Flyer: 8.5" x 11") [PDF]
Includes registration and licensing requirements for various types of vehicles and where they may be legally operated.
- What Can I Ride on City Streets (Flyers for Parents and Youth: 8.5" x 11") [PDF]
- What Can I Ride on City Streets (Poster: 11" x 17") [PDF]
To learn more, visit the DC Department of Motor Vehicles website at www.dmv.dc.gov.