The Internal Affairs Bureau (IAB) acts as the guardian of the Metropolitan Police Department’s reputation, and is charged with the accountability, implementation, and maintenance of the Department’s anti-corruption programs. It is an office of unparalleled integrity that provides effective corruption control and behavior accountability through comprehensive proactive and reactive investigations, inspections, and adjudications of misconduct and corruption. The IAB also collects extensive statistical data for review, assessment, and trend analysis.
The Internal Affairs Bureau has the following organizational units:
- Internal Affairs Division is comprised of the Police Misconduct Section and the OPC Liaison Unit. The Police Misconduct Section investigates most complaints by citizens against police officers and other MPDC members. The OPC Liaison Unit coordinates the investigation of those citizens' complaints filed with the Office of Police Complaints. The Internal Affairs Division also investigates lethal and serious non-lethal uses of police force.
- Medical Services Division
- Court Liaision Division, which coordinates MPDC members' participation in court proceeedings and other court-related activities.
- EEO Investigations DIvision, which administers the Department's equal employment opportunity program, including investigating and adjudicating EEO-related complaints.
Some complaints that are filed with the Internal Affairs Bureau (IAB) fall within the purview of the Office of Police Complaints (OPC). In these instances, IAD will ensure that the proper MPD element investigates the complaint. Regardless of who handles the complaint, individuals may always file one with the MPDC in a variety of ways:
- File a complaint in person at the Internal Affairs Bureau or any police facility
- Mail a letter detailing your complaint to the Internal Affairs Bureau or any police facility
- Report your complaint over the telephone
- Contact the Internal Affairs Bureau at (202) 727-4385
- Fax your complaint to the Internal Affairs Bureau/Internal Affairs Division at (202) 727-4858
- Email your complaint to [email protected]
- Download a PD-99 (PDF) (complaint form), complete and sign the form, and submit it to the Office of Professional Responsibility via traditional mail or fax.
Internal Affairs Bureau
Assistant Chief Kimberly Chisley-Missouri
300 Indiana Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 727-5084