Academy training for recruit officers lasts approximately 28 weeks. MPD recruit officers complete a full program of classroom, scenario, physical, and tactical training to prepare them for the challenges of being a police officer. The subjects covered include laws of arrest, search and seizure, criminal law, traffic regulations, human relations, community policing, and ethics. In addition, recruit officers receive skills training in operation of emergency police vehicles, self-defense, advanced first aid, and much more. MPD officers serve an 18-month probationary period from the time of hire, which includes their academy training and field training periods. In an effort to continue as a transparent organization, MPD posts our recruit curriculum on this website with an opportunity for members of the public to provide comments and feedback for consideration in future updates.
Any comments may be submitted and will be reviewed by MPD staff on a quarterly basis. To submit a comment(s), please send an email to [email protected].
- Block 1: Introduction to Policing
- Block 2: Basic Investigative Skills
- Block 3: Report Writing
- Block 4: Introduction to Criminal Law
- Block 5: Introduction to Crime
- Block 6: Criminal Offenses I
- Block 7: Criminal Offenses II
- Block 8: Criminal Offenses III
- Block 9: Complex Criminal Offenses I
- Block 10: Complex Criminal Offenses II
- Block 11: Serious Criminal Offenses
- Block 12: Traffic I
- Block 13: Traffic II
NOTE: Additional files will be added as they become available.