ALERT: Effective January 4, 2021, a new Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) began offering handgun transfer services to the public. Pursuant to D.C. Official Code § 7-2504.10, because there are now active FFLs offering services to the public, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) will no longer provide handgun transfer services. All new FFL business will go through private FFL dealers. All business originally received by MPD will be completed by MPD.
In addition to meeting all of the Eligibility Requirements to Register a Firearm, an individual applying to carry a concealed firearm must meet the follwing suitability requirements:
- Meets all the requirements for a person registering a firearm.
- Completed a firearms training course by an instructor certified by the Chief ( You may apply for an exemption based on previous training within the past 2 years)
- Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance, unless the habitual use of a controlled dangerous substance is under licensed medical direction.
- Has not exhibited propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render a person’s possession of a concealed pistol a danger to the person or another.
- Does not currently suffer nor has suffered in the previous five years from any mental disorder, illness, or condition that creates a substantial risk that he or she is a danger to himself or herself or others.