ALERT: Effective January 4, 2021, a new Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) will begin offering handgun transfer services to the public. Pursuant to D.C. Official Code § 7-2504.10, because there is now an active FFL offering services to the public, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) will no longer provide handgun transfer services. All new FFL business will go through private FFL dealers. All business originally received by MPD will be completed by MPD.
Federal Firearms Licensees providing commercial services to the public in the District of Columbia:
- Shall not carry a pistol while consuming alcohol or while impaired.
- A building or office occupied by the District of Columbia or its agencies.
- The building and grounds, including any adjacent parking lot of a childcare facility, preschool, elementary or secondary school, or a public or private college or university.
- A hospital or an office where medical or mental health services are the primary services provided.
- A penal institution, secure juvenile residential facility, or halfway house.
- A polling place while voting is occurring.
- A public transportation vehicle, including the Metrorail transit system and its stations.
- Any premises where alcohol is served, sold and consumed on the premises (pursuant to license issued under Title 25 of D.C. Code)
- Stadium or Arena
- Public Gathering or special event open to the public when the organizer has provided notice and posted signage prohibiting the carrying of pistols in advance of the gathering or special event.
- The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency, including the U.S. Capitol buildings and grounds.
- The area around the White House ( between Constitution Ave. and H St. and between 15th St. and 17th St. NW)
- The U.S. Naval Observatory and its grounds (from the perimeter of its fence to the curb of Massachusetts Ave. NW from 34th St. south on Massachusetts Ave to Observatory Circle NW)
- When a dignitary or high-ranking official of the United States or a state, local, or foreign government is moving under the protection of the MPD, the U.S Secret Service, the U.S Capitol Police, or other law enforcement agency that does not include a distance greater than 1,000 feet from the moving dignitary. ( provided notice has been given by signs or an officer’s order)
- A Demonstration in a public place (within a perimeter of 1,000 feet designated by a law enforcement agency, and notice has been given by signs or an officer’s order)
- On private residential property unless authorized by the property owner.
- A place of religious worship unless authorized by the owner or authorized agent.
- Non-residential property that is posted with conspicuous signage prohibiting the carrying of a concealed pistol.