Pursuant to recent amendments to the Firearms Regulations Control Act of 1975 (D.C. Act 20-447), anyone applying for a concealed pistol license in the District of Columbia must receive firearms training from a Firearms Training Instructor that has been certified by the Metropolitan Police Department.
The requirements for a certified Firearms Training Instructor are found in Title 24, Chapter 23, Section 2347 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (included in the instructions document below). Applicants for a Firearms Training Instructor certification should review both the applicable regulations and the Firearms Regulation Control Act to understand District law and requirements. Violations of District legal requirements will be enforced.
Checklist for submission of a Concealed Carry Firearms Training Instructor certification application:
- Complete the Firearms Training Instructor Application, including signing and dating the form.
- Attach proof of your formal training in the care, safety, and use of firearms, which can include a current Law Enforcement Instructor identification card issued by the National Rifle Association or Instructor Certification from the Department of Criminal Justice Services Private Security Services.
- Attach proof that you have had at least one year of experience in instruction in the care, safety, and use of handguns. Please note that certification alone is not proof of experience.
- Attach a detailed syllabus describing the methods and materials you will use to conduct the firearms training for a concealed carry license. The course syllabus and materials must meet the requirements of the Firearms Regulations Control Act and must refer to the information provided by the Metropolitan Police Department on District of Columbia law on self-defense.
- All new applicants must be fingerprinted by Civilian Fingerprinting located at 300 Indiana Ave. NW Room 3054. Fingerprinting services are scheduled on line by visiting one of the following websites: www.dcopla.com/security or https://timetrade.com/app/5107/workflows/metro001/schedule?locationId=metropolice
- When making your appointment online please select the “Firearms Registration” category to schedule your appointment. Please see the payment instructions below in order to pay the $35.00 fingerprinting fee.
- When making your payment for fingerprinting and the application fee you will need a ”Request for Services “form. This form can be obtained from the Civilian Fingerprinting office 300 Indiana Ave NW Room 3054. Complete the form with the services you require and take to form to the Cashiers Office located in Room 1000. Payments can be made by cashier’s check, money order and credit/debit cards. Once payment is made you must show your receipt to Civilian Fingerprinting and turn it in with your application to the Security Officers Management Branch.
- Bring all the items noted above to the Security Officers Management Branch at 2000 14th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009. The hours of operation are Monday through Thursday, 8 am to 2 pm. Please note that when submit your application to the Security Officers Management Branch, you will be photographed and that it is recommended that you make contact with the Firearms Instructor Coordinator prior to responding to ensure that someone will be available to assist you.
If you have any questions, please contact the Security Officers Management Branch at (202) 671-0500 or by email at [email protected].