MPDC: Mission and Goals
Mission of the Metropolitan Police Department
It is the mission of the Metropolitan Police Department to safeguard the District of Columbia and protect its residents and visitors by providing the highest quality of police service with integrity, compassion, and a commitment to innovation that integrates people, technology and progressive business systems.
Guiding Principles of Chief of Police Cathy L. Lanier
- Reduce crime and the fear of crime in the community
- Change the culture of the MPD from reacting to crime to building and sustaining safe neighborhoods
- Position the MPD to be viewed and respected nationally and internationally as a model for how it serves the community
- Build homeland security into the culture of the MPD and the community without creating fear
- Make the relationship between police and neighborhoods paramount — tailoring policing to neighborhoods
- Build on what the MPD is doing right
- Focus on MPD’s routine activities, fostering innovation and initiative, all while maintaining fiscal accountability
- Encourage teamwork and leadership at every level of the police department and throughout the community
- Emphasize that every MPD employee has the power to influence positive change — and encourage them to improve the service they provide to both the Department and community
- Throughout the department, focus on how the MPD can address youth issues
- Enhance follow-up in all aspects of the department to meet community needs.