Mission of the Metropolitan Police Department
It is the mission of the Metropolitan Police Department to safeguard the District of Columbia and protect its residents and visitors with the highest regard for the sanctity of human life. We will strive at all times to accomplish our mission with a focus on service, integrity, and fairness by upholding our City’s motto Justitia Omnibus -- Justice for All.
- Reduce crime and the fear of crime in the community.
- Strive to resolve all conflicts peacefully, valuing all human life, and ensuring that any use of force is proportional to the threat faced.
- Ensure that all allegations of misconduct and uses of force are investigated thoroughly and impartially.
- Instill a sense of transparency in operations with regular reports and outreach on critical events and community concerns.
- Sustain a culture of building and sustaining safe neighborhoods by making the relationship between police and neighborhoods paramount — tailoring policing to neighborhoods.
- Continue to work with other government agencies to address the issues faced by the mentally ill in our communities.
- Throughout the department, focus on how the MPD can address youth issues.
- Build on what the MPD is doing right by continuously evaluating our strengths and weaknesses and position the MPD to be viewed and respected nationally and internationally as a model for how it serves the community.
- Build homeland security into the culture of the MPD and the community without creating fear.
- Fostering a culture of innovation and initiative by leveraging technology.
- Support our employees as they work to serve the City.
- Encourage teamwork and leadership at every level of the police department and throughout the community.
- Emphasize that every MPD employee has the power to influence positive change — and encourage them to improve the service they provide to both the Department and community.
- Fortify these values by training and educating all of our members in the critical skills of communication, service and conflict resolution.