On Friday, December 6, 2013, the National Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony will take place on the Ellipse at approximately 4:30 p.m. With the street closures noted below and increased traffic from event attendees, drivers should expect heavy traffic on Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, between 3rd Street, NW, and 15th Street, NW.
Drivers are reminded that making a U-turn through a bicycle lane is prohibited, regardless of whether a bicyclist is present. Any violation is subject to a $100 fine. A bicycle lane runs the entire length of Pennsylvania Avenue NW, from 3rd Street, NW, to 15th Street, NW. Officers with the Metropolitan Police Department will be enforcing the prohibition on U-turns and other traffic laws during the Tree Lighting ceremony.
Don’t risk getting a $100 ticket: either use an alternate route or be patient while sitting in traffic.
· Street Closures: The Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia and the U.S. Park Police will put the following street closures affecting vehicular traffic into effect on December 6, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. and will lift these street closures when this event has concluded:
- 15th Street, NW from Constitution Avenue, NW to E Street, NW
- 15th Street, NW and New York Avenue, NW
- 15th Street, NW and G Street, NW
- 15th Street, NW and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
- 15th Street, NW and F Street, NW
- 15th Street, NW and Constitution Avenue, NW
- 17th Street, NW Northbound from Constitution Avenue, NW to State Place/New York Avenue, NW
- 17th Street, NW from C Street, NW to E Street, NW
- 18th Street, NW Eastbound from D Street to E Street, NW
· No Truck Zone: Constitution Avenue, NW between 14th Street, NW & 18th Street, NW