On Saturday, July 4, 2015, the 2015 Fourth of July Celebration will take place in the District of Columbia. In conjunction with this event, there will be several street closures that motorists should take into consideration:
Streets Closed from 6:00 am until approximately 11:00 pm
- TR Bridge Inbound to Constitution Avenue. All traffic diverted to the E Street Expressway
- Independence Avenue SW from 15th Street to 23rd Street SW
- 23rd Street NB from Constitution Avenue to Virginia Avenue NW. Southbound 23rd Street will be allowed to flow and access outbound TR Bridge.
- 22nd Street NW from C Street to Constitution Avenue
- 21st Street NW from C Street to Constitution Avenue
- 20st Street NW from C Street to Constitution Avenue
- 19th Street NW from Virginia Avenue to Constitution Avenue
- 18th Street NW from Virginia Avenue to Constitution Avenue
- 17th Street NW from New York Avenue to Constitution Avenue NW
- 15th Street NW from Pennsylvania Avenue to Independence Avenue SW
- Henry Bacon Drive7th Street from Constitution Avenue NW
- Constitution Avenue from 14th Street to 23rd Street.
- Arlington Memorial Bridge
- South Bound Rock Creek Parkway closed at Virginia Avenue
- 7th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
- 4th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
The following streets will be closed at approximately 11:15 am for the Independence Day Parade and will remain closed for the remainder of the day:
Streets Closed from approximately 11:15 am until approximately midnight
- Constitution Avenue from 3rd Street to 14th Street NW
- 14th Street from Pennsylvania to Independence Avenue SW
- 12th Street from Pennsylvania to Constitution Avenue NW
- 10th Street from Pennsylvania to Constitution Avenue NW
- 9th Street from Pennsylvania to Constitution Avenue NW
- 6th Street from Pennsylvania to Constitution Avenue NW
- 3rd Street from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to Independence Avenue SW
The 3rd street, 9th street and 12th St tunnels will remain open for travel into and out of the city, however, the 9th Street Tunnel and the 12th Street Tunnel will close during the Independence Day Parade, which will begin at approximately 11:15 am and continue until approximately 4:00 pm will be closed between Constitution and Pennsylvania Aves.
National Mall Pubic Entry Access points- July 4th: Open at 10:00 am.
- Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, immediately south of Theodore Roosevelt Bridge;
- Constitution Avenue and 23rd Street;
- Constitution Avenue and 17th Street;
- Constitution Avenue and 14th Street;
- Westside of 14th Street, north of Jefferson Drive SW;
- Westside of 14th Street, north of Independence Avenue SW;
- Maine Avenue and Raoul Wallenberg Place SW (i.e. formerly 15th Street);
- East Basin Drive, just south of the Jefferson Memorial (visitors will not be able to access the National Mall from this checkpoint); and
- East Basin Drive, at the Inlet Bridge.
In addition to events on the National Mall, RFK Stadium, 2400 East Capitol Street NE will be having an event with gates opening at 9:00 am. Washington Nationals, 1500 South Capitol Street SE will play with first pitch at 11:05 am. Expect heavy traffic around these locations.
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions.
Motorists could encounter possible delays if operating in the vicinity of this event and may wish to consider alternative routes. The Metropolitan Police Department and the D.C. Department of Transportation also wishes to remind motorists in the vicinity of this event to proceed with caution as increased pedestrian traffic can be anticipated.