Metropolitan Police Chief, Cathy L. Lanier, announced today that the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) will deploy eleven new photo enforced mobile radar locations beginning November 24, 2008.
Mobile radar units are deployed throughout the District as a force multiplier to allow MPD to monitor and enforce traffic safety compliance. In selecting locations for the Mobile Radar Units, the MPD considers calls for police service, crash data, speed feasibility studies, as well as recommendations or requests from the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners and civic or citizen associations.
The thirty day educational phase will commence with warning citations on November 24, 2008. On December 26, 2008, MPD will begin issuing live citations.
The new locations are as follows:
- 800 block of Eastern Avenue, NE
- 5500 block of East Capitol St., NE
- 2800 block of New York Avenue, NE
- 5500 block of East Capitol Street, SE
- 1900 block of Southern Avenue, SE
- Southeast Southwest Freeway @ 9th Street entrance ramp SE
- Southeast Southwest Freeway @ 8th Street SE
- 3700 block of Southern Avenue SE
- Suitland Parkway nw/b before Firth Sterling Ave SE
- 2900 block of Military Road NW
- 5300 block of 14th Street NW
For more information concerning the automated speed enforcement program in the District of Columbia, go to http://mpdc.dc.gov/automatedenforcement.