The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) would like to announce the designation of five nightlife safety zones during Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s Safe Track operation.
MPD Nightlife Unit has identified and is providing additional resources in specific areas from Wednesday to Sunday during the hours of 11:00 pm to 3:00 am as patrons and employees find alternative means of transportation to and from various venues within the city. MPD has partnered with city agencies to provide additional lighting in each of the areas, signage so that patrons can locate the safe zones, and added patrol. These safe locations will serve as a place for patrons to access alternative transportation.
The five designated nightlife safety corridors are as follows:
- 1400 H Street, Northeast (in front of)
- 600 7th Street, Northwest (alongside Verizon Center)
- 1201 Connecticut Avenue, Northwest (Northbound)
- 1250 Connecticut Avenue, Northwest (Southbound)
- 1925 Vermont Avenue, Northwest (in front of)
- 2014 14th Street, Northwest (Southbound)
- 2200 Champlain Street, Northwest (in front of)
“The established nightlife safety zones are an additional resource for residents to ensure public safety, and we are working hard to provide special attention to these locations” said Assistant Chief Diane Groomes. “We hope that the community takes advantage of this security measure when accessing transportation and keep in mind their locations.”
MPD will continue to prioritize public safety and provide additional resources when necessary. The nightlife safety zones are only available for the use of ride share and taxi cabs.