Due to community concerns regarding robberies, the Metropolitan Police Department is releasing information on recent robbery arrests. Members of the public have been helpful in providing information that has led to arrests and MPD encourages members of the public to visit our YouTube page, view videos of cases, and contact police if they recognize persons of interest at http://www.youtube.com/OfficialDCPolice
Below are recent robbery arrests made within the last week.
- Friday, October 19, 2012, at approximately 7:50 pm, a victim was inside of his vehicle in the 1500 block of C Street, NE, when two individuals approached. One of the individuals produced a handgun, while the second individual went through the victim’s pockets, obtaining a cell phone and U.S. currency. The individuals then ordered the victim out of the vehicle and took the vehicle, a 2004 Mercedes Benz CLK-500 Coupe. The suspects then fled the area. A short time later, members of the First District observed the vehicle in the 1400 block of Maryland Avenue, NE and a vehicle pursuit ensued. The pursuit ended in the 600 block of 15th Street, NE, with the apprehension of two adult male suspects who were charged with Carjacking while Armed.
- Sunday, October, 21, 2012, at approximately 7:30 pm, a victim was in the 400 block of 7th Street, NW, when an individual approached her on a bike. The individual attempted to snatch the victim’s wallet out of her hand. The victim resisted and the individual fled the scene. A short time later, members of the First District located the juvenile suspect at 5th and H Streets, NW, where he was arrested for Attempt Robbery.
- Sunday, August 12, 2012, at approximately 11:20 pm, a victim was in the 100 block of 14th Street, SE, when he noticed he was being followed by two individuals. Without warning, one of individuals struck the victim in the head with a baseball bat, knocking him to the ground. While on the ground, the victim was struck several more times with the bat, while the second suspect searched his pockets. The suspects obtained U.S. currency, cell phone, Kindle tablet, and other property from the victim. Later that same evening, at approximately 11:50 pm, a female victim was riding a bicycle in the 2500 block of 11th Street, NW, when a subject knocked the victim off her bicycle. A second subject then struck the victim in the head an unknown object. Further investigation revealed it was a baseball bat. A third subject joined in and attempted to take the victims purse, but was unsuccessful. On Thursday, October 25, 2012, following an investigation by the First District Detectives Unit, 25-year-old John Flowers, of Southeast, DC was charged with Armed Robbery in the 100 block of 14th Street, SE offense, and Assault with Intent to Rob in the 2500 block of 11th Street, NW offense. Additionally, another adult male was previously charged with Armed Robbery in reference to the 100 block of 14th Street, SE offense.
- Sunday, October 21, 2012, a complainant was the victim of a robbery at 24th Street, NW, and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. The suspect snatched the complainant’s cellular telephone from the complainant’s hand and fled. Another suspect acted as a lookout for the first suspect. Both suspects were apprehended and charged with Robbery (Snatch).
- Saturday, October 20, 2012, two complainants were in 2100 block of 9th Street NW, when a suspect began following them, then put on a mask, brandished a gun and attempted to rob the victims. An adult male was arrested on the scene for Attempted Robbery.
- Wednesday, October 24, 2012, a victim reported that a suspect approached him at the intersection of 8th and R Streets NW, took his bicycle from him, and fled the scene. An adult male suspect was arrested for Robbery Snatch.
- Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at approximately 10:30 am, a suspect entered the Bill’s Cleaners located in the 1300 block of Florida Avenue, NW and produced a handgun from his waistband and demanded the cash register be opened. The employee complied and the suspect took an unknown amount of US currency from the cash register and fled the location. On Friday, October 26, 2012, 30-year-old Tarius Guy, was arrested pursuant to an arrest warrant in connection with this armed robbery. The Metropolitan Police Department wishes to thank the media for publicizing this case. *
- Monday, October 15, 2012, at approximately 9:45 pm, a complainant was delivering a food order in the 200 block of Hamilton Street, NW, when a suspect approached the complainant and announced a robbery. He then struck the complainant in the head with a brick. A struggle ensued and the suspect attempted to take the complainant’s cell phone. The suspect fled the scene on foot. On Sunday, October 22, 2012, an investigation by detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department led to the apprehension an adult male suspect, who was arrested and charged with Assault with Intent to Commit Robbery while Armed.
- Wednesday, October 17, 2012, at approximately 5:24 pm, a complainant was delivering a food order to 5900 block of 14th Street, NW, when two suspects distracted him while a third suspect stole a pizza. On Thursday, October 18, 2012, an investigation by detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department led to the apprehension of all three adult male suspects. They were arrested and charged with Robbery (Snatch).
- Sunday, October 21, 2012, at approximately 8:08 pm, a complainant was parking her vehicle in the 700 block of Longfellow Street, NW, when she was approached by two suspects, one of which was armed with a gun. The suspects ordered her and her juvenile son out of her vehicle and robbed her of her purse and cell phone before driving away in her car. On Tuesday, October 23, 2012, an investigation by detectives of the Metropolitan Police Department led to the apprehension of one of the suspects, a juvenile male. He was arrested and charged with Carjacking while Armed.
- Thursday, October 25, 2012, at approximately 3:10 pm, a complainant was walking in the 1300 block of Spring Road, NW, when he was approached by two adult suspects who engaged him in conversation. One of the suspects snatched U.S. currency from the complaint’s hand and they both fled the area on foot. Both suspects were apprehended by officers of the Metropolitan Police Department a short time after the incident. They were arrested and charged with Assault with Intent to Commit Robbery.
- Monday, October 22, 2012, a complainant was the victim of a robbery in the 1300 block of Tuckerman Street, NW. Several suspects approached the complainant, one of whom displayed a handgun, and announced a robbery. Taken was a cellular telephone, a wallet, and U.S. Currency. On Friday, October 26, 2012, the Fourth District Detectives Unit obtained an arrest warrant for a suspect in this case. The juvenile suspect was arrested by Fourth District patrol personnel based on the arrest warrant. Detectives believe this suspect may have been involved in numerous other recent robberies in the Northwest DC area and are continuing to investigate those robberies.*
- Friday, September 21, 2012, a complaint was the victim of an attempted robbery in the 3000 block of Douglas Street, NE. The suspect approached the complainant and stabbed the complainant with a knife. The suspect was apprehended on Thursday, October 25, 2012, and charged with Assault with Intent to Kill (Knife). This same suspect was identified in another robbery that occurred on September 19, 2012, in the 2800 block of Bladensburg Road, NE. In this case the complaint was pushed against the wall and the suspect demanded his property. The suspect cut the complainant on the arm with a knife and took a cellular telephone.
- Saturday, October 20, 2012, the complainants were the victims of a robbery while at 12th and Quincy Streets, NE, when two suspects approached the complaints and demanded their property. Taken was a cellular telephone. The suspects were arrested and charged with Robbery (Fear).
- Thursday, October 25, 2012, a complainant was the victim of a robbery at Benning and Bladensburg Roads, NE. The complaint was pushed by the suspect and taken was a cellular telephone. The suspect was arrested and charged with Robbery (Force and Violence).
- Tuesday, October 23, 2012, a complainant was the victim of a robbery in the 2800 block of Shipley Terrace, SE. The suspect displayed a handgun and demanded the complainant’s property. Taken was U.S. currency, gift cards, and video games. The suspect was apprehended and charged with Armed Robbery.
- Saturday, October 19, 2012, a complainant was the victim of a robbery in the 2500 block of Alabama Avenue, SE. The suspect snatched the complainant’s purse from her shoulder. The suspect was apprehended and charged with Robbery (Snatch).
Anyone who is the victim of a crime or witnesses a crime in progress should call 911 immediately. Individuals who have information regarding crimes should call police at 202-727-9099. Additionally information may be submitted to the TEXT TIP LINE by text messaging 50411. The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of up to $10,000 to anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for any robbery committed in the District of Columbia.