How Automated Red Light Cameras Work
- The system activates when motion is detected just prior to the cross walk AFTER the traffic signal has turned red. The camera captures two images of an alleged violation, taken from the rear of the vehicle.
- The first image shows the vehicle prior to the white stop bar and the illuminated red light.
- The second image shows the violator in or passed the stop bar or crosswalk with the red light illuminated.
- The license plate image is a close-up from one of the images captured
- Data, including the time, date and duration of the yellow and red lights, also is recorded
Labeled in Image Below
- Sensor Receiver
- Traffic Infraction Sensor/Detection Zones
Image #1: The 1st image records the vehicle behind the violation point while the light is red
Image #2: The 2nd image records the vehicle proceeding through the intersection while the light is red