The Metropolitan Police Department is the agency responsible for transferring and registering firearms in the District of Columbia. The Department’s publication, Firearms Transfer and Registration General Requirements Guide, provides you with the information you need to comply with the District’s laws regarding proper transfer, registration, and safekeeping of your weapon. By being familiar with the law and the process, you will be able to quickly and easily transfer and/or register your weapon and ensure that you are in compliance.
- Firearms Transfer and Registration Procedures in Brief
- Complete Firearms Transfer and Registration Procedures
- General Requirements for Firearms Registration
- Firearms Transfer and Registration General Requirements Guide [PDF]
Key Terms Used in this Guide
- DC Official Code: The laws of the District of Columbia. Individuals may access the current DC Code online.
- FFL or Federal Firearms Licensee: An entity authorized by the US government to sell and buy firearms.
- FRB or Firearms Registration Branch: The branch of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) that transfers and registers firearms for the public