Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Metropolitan Police Department

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Citizens Online Reporting Tool: FAQs

Citizens Online Reporting Tool (screenshot)

Q:  What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?

A:  If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If it’s a non-emergency, call 311.

Q:  What do I do if I am not located in the District of Columbia and am calling from out of state?

A. If you cannot call 311, please dial (202) 727-1000 or (202) 737- 4404. As always, any non-emergency crime may still be reported by phone or in person at any Metropolitan Police Department station. Please visit the police district page to find the Metropolitan Police Department station closest to you.

Q:  What do I do if the crime I wish to report isn’t included in the Citizen Online Reporting Tool? 

A:  The Citizen Online Reporting Tool may be used for reporting NON-EMERGENCY CRIMES ONLY. If the incident is an emergency, please call 911 immediately. If the incident is a non-emergency but isn’t included in the Online Reporting Tool, call 311.

Q:  If the incident happened in another city, can I file a report using the Metropolitan Police Department’s Online Police Reporting Tool? 

A:  No. If a crime took place outside the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Police Department, please call the police department for that city.

Q:  What if this happened on a state highway? 

A:  If this took place on a state highway, please call 311 to report the incident.