The Metropolitan Police Department is the agency responsible for registering firearms in the District of Columbia. The Department’s publication, Firearms Registration General Requirements and Study Guide, provides you with the information you need to comply with the District’s laws regarding proper registration and safekeeping of your weapon. By being familiar with the law and the process, you will be able to quickly and easily register your weapon and ensure that you are in compliance.
- Firearms Registration Procedures in Brief
- Complete Firearms Registration Procedures
- General Requirements for Firearms Registration
- Firearms Registration: General Requirements and Study Guide [PDF] (Updated April 2016)
Key Terms Used in this Guide
- DC Official Code: The laws of the District of Columbia. Individuals may access the current DC Code online.
- FFL or Federal Firearms Licensee: A business authorized by the US government to sell and buy firearms.
- FRS or Firearms Registration Section: The branch of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) that registers firearms for the public