If you own a 2011-2021 Kia or Hyundai, your vehicle may be at risk of being stolen. Any Hyundai or Kia vehicle that operates with a metal or steel key is impacted by a system flaw that thieves are targeting. Any Hyundai or Kia vehicle that is a push-to-start, is not at risk. To avoid becoming a victim of auto theft, the Metropolitan Police Department encourages you to consider the following safety tips:
- Never leave your engine running or leave your vehicle unattended.
- Lock your car and take your keys with you.
- Park in a well-lit area or parking garage.
- Remove USB cables from vehicles while not in use.
- Consider purchasing a wheel lock or anti-theft device.
- Contact your dealership for potential software updates or recall notices.
Software Update Now Available from Kia and Hyundai
Hyundai and Kia are now providing a free of charge software update to owners of affected models. Owners of these vehicles to contact Hyundai (toll-free at 800-633-5151), Kia (toll-free at 800-333-4542), or their local Hyundai/Kia dealership for information on the free update.
Free Steering Wheel Lock Program for Impacted Models
MPD has partnered with Kia and Hyundai to provide a limited number of FREE steering wheel locks to DC residents if they have a vehicle impacted by the TikTok challenge.
Residents who qualify for the steering wheel lock must have proof of the below:
- A 2011-2021 Hyundai or Kia Vehicle
- A steel key ignition (keyless entry/push-to-start vehicles are not impacted)
- Proof of DC registration
- A District ID
Starting this February 24 residents with impacted Kia and Hyundai vehicles can pick up a steering wheel-lock by visiting any of the MPD district stations:
- First District: 101 M Street, SW (Very limited stock)
- Second District: 3320 Idaho Avenue, NW (Currently in stock)
- Third District: 1620 V Street, NW (Out of stock)
- Fourth District: 6001 Georgia Avenue, NW (Out of stock)
- Fifth District: 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE (Out of stock)
- Sixth District: 5002 Hayes Street, NE (Out of stock)
- Seventh District: 2455 Alabama Ave., SE (Out of stock)
The steering wheel-locks will be given to qualified residents on a first-come, first-served basis.