Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Metropolitan Police Department

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Resolving a Field Arrest Citation

Resolving a Field Arrest Citation (61D)

If you receive a Field Arrest Citation (Form PD 61D) from the MPD, it means that an officer had probable cause to believe that you committed one or more certain misdemeanor criminal offenses that are eligible for a non-custodial arrest. An officer must make a custodial arrest for any juvenile, or if the officer has reason to believe that you may cause injury to persons or damage to property, or will not appear in-person to answer the citation.

You must report within 15 days to any MPD police station in order to complete processing of this field arrest citation. Bring this citation with you.

  • 1st District (101 M Street, SW)
  • 2nd District (3320 Idaho Avenue, NW)
  • 3rd District (1620 V Street, NW)
  • 4th District (6001 Georgia Avenue, NW)
  • 5th District (1805 Bladensburg Road, NE)
  • 6th District (5002 Hayes Street, NE)
  • 7th District (2455 Alabama Avenue, SE)

Failure to report to a police district station within 15 days from the date you receive this citation will result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

When you appear at the police station, the arrest process will be completed (i.e., booking, fingerprinting, and so forth). During the booking process, you will be informed about your options for resolving the arrest.

Option 1: Post & Forfeit Money

If you want to end the case immediately, and you are otherwise deemed to be eligible, you may pay the amount of money the court has set for the offense and forfeit it.  If you choose this option:

  • A criminal case will not be filed against you in court, but you will have an arrest record and will not get your money back.
  • This disposition will not result in the imposition of any sanction, penalty, enhanced sentence or civil disability by any court of the District of Columbia or any agency of the District of Columbia in any subsequent criminal, civil, or administrative proceeding or administrative action.
  • You may file a motion with the court to seal your arrest record two years from now unless you have a disqualifying conviction.
  • If you change your mind and want to go to court to contest the charges, you can file a "Motion to Set Aside Forfeiture" within 90 days of today (and the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, the prosecutor for this case, may do the same). Such a motion is not automatically granted. If it is granted, the charges against you will be reinstated and you will have to go to court to answer them.

Option 2: Citation Release

If you want your day in court and you are otherwise eligible for release, you may be released immediately on citation. If you choose this option:

  • You promise to go to court on the future date written on the citation.  At that time, a prosecutor will decide whether to file a criminal case against you. If you do not go to court as directed, a bench warrant may be issued, and you can be arrested and charged with failing to appear even if the prosecutor decides to drop this case.
  • As a condition of your release on citation, you may be directed to stay away from and have no contact with a particular person or persons and/or to stay away from a particular place until you appear in court to answer the charge. If you violate that directive, a police officer can immediately arrest you, your release will be revoked, and you will be brought to court on the next day it is open.
  • If the prosecutor charges you with any crime, you will have a right to be represented by an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.

For More Information

If you have an arraignment date and need more information, please contact the DC Superior Court’s Criminal Division Customer Service line at (202) 879-1373.

For more information regarding sealing your record, please contact the Public Defender Service of the District of Columbia at (202) 628-1200.