The following documents are required to title a vehicle:
- Title/Certificate of Origin (Photocopies are not acceptable)
- DC Driver License or DC Non-Driver Identification Card
- Car Bill of Sale (New Car)
- Proof of Valid Odometer Statement
- Lien contract (if applicable)
- Lessee contract (if applicable)
Additional Vehicle Title Information
- Altered titles are not accepted. If the title is altered, it is required to obtain a replacement.
- Additional documents are necessary to obtain a title for a vehicle if an individual acquired it through the death of the vehicle owner.
- Although a title can have multiple owners, the primary owner must be a District resident or a DC based business. If an individual have a co-owner and the co-owner is not a DC resident, It is required to present the valid photo identification.
- Salvage Vehicle(s) must pass safety inspection to obtain title.
Note: It is not necessary for a vehicle to pass inspection or have insurance to receive a title only (without a registration). It is not permissible to operate a vehicle in the District of Columbia without registration of the vehicle. Titles are not issued over-the-counter. Titles are mailed to the primary owner within 10 business days. In case of lien holder, the title will be mailed to the primary lien holder.