Road Skills Test Requirements
On the day of your test, go to the DMV road testing service location at your scheduled appointment time. If you fail the road skills test, you must wait 72 hours before you are eligible to retest. If you fail the road skills test 6 times within a 12 month period, you will not be allowed to take the 7th test until 12 months after the 1st failed test.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment
- Arrive in a vehicle that fulfills the vehicle requirements below
- Bring your valid learner permit
- Be accompanied by a licensed driver 21 years or older
- Bring a car that has valid registration and proof of insurance
- Wear your seat belt
- Bring your 40-hour Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form, if you are under 21 years of age
Please note: If you have a learner permit and drive yourself to your road test appointment without being accompanied by a licensed driver, you will not be allowed to take your test for 6 months.
The vehicle used to take the test must:
- Have a current registration card with a valid window registration sticker (if applicable) or current sticker displaying a valid expiration date affixed to the plates (if applicable)
- Have a motor vehicle liability insurance card or the policy, which must identify the vehicle and include the expiration date
- Display a valid inspection sticker, if applicable. Vehicles displaying failed inspection stickers are not acceptable for the road test
- Display front and rear license plates (if applicable), properly affixed to the bumper
- Have properly functioning brake lights, turn signal lights, horn, windows that roll up and down, operable doors with inside and outside door handles, inside rear view mirror, and outside side (left/right) view mirrors properly placed, and a hand emergency brake located between the driver and front passenger seats
- Have a windshield with no cracks or debris, providing an unobstructed field of vision and nothing hanging from the rearview mirror
- Have tires that are in good condition and properly inflated. Spare (donut) tires are not acceptable
- Rental vehicles are allowed for road tests only if the person taking the test is listed on the rental contract as an approved driver of the rental vehicle
- Have no service or warning lights illuminated on dashboard, including low gas
If you would like to cancel or reschedule a road test, please call our customer service office at 311 or (202) 737-4404 at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled road test.
Your road test may be cancelled by DMV for one or more of the reasons listed below.
- The examiner believes he or she would have trouble reaching the brake or otherwise stopping the test vehicle in an emergency.
- There is inclement weather or other circumstances beyond DMV's control that make the road test dangerous.
- You or your vehicle have not met all of the road test requirements.
If your road test is cancelled, call our customer service office at 311 or (202) 737-4404 or visit the road test appointment scheduling information page to learn more about scheduling an appointment.
Note: Failure to cancel a scheduled road test within two business days will result in a $30 cancellation fee. This fee will be collected the next time you complete a license-related transaction. This fee will not be charged if you cancel your road test appointment within two business days of your scheduled appointment. You can cancel a road test by calling the DMV Call Center at 311 or (202) 737-4404.