The Metropolitan Police Department would like to inform the public and members of the media about street closures in connection with the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and the Annual Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Elephant Walk scheduled for Sunday, March 16, 2014, and Tuesday, March 18, 2014, respectively.
St. Patrick’s Day Parade
This event is scheduled for Sunday, March 16, 2014.
- The parade will form on the National Mall and proceed westbound on Constitution Avenue, N.W. from 7th Street to 17th Street, N.W., where they will disband.
- 7th Street will be closed between Constitution Avenue, N.W. and Independence Avenue, S.W. from approximately 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Streets leading to Constitution Avenue, NW will be closed during this time period.
Annual Elephant Walk
This event is scheduled for Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm. The streets will begin closing at 7:30 pm and re-open at 9:30 pm.
The Elephant Walk will proceed from Capitol Hill to the Verizon Center. The walk will form at the New Jersey Avenue and Virginia Avenue, NW (Capitol Power Plant) at which time the roadways mentioned below will be closed to traffic:
- North on South Capitol Street to Washington Avenue, SE
- Northwest on Washington Avenue to Independence Avenue, SE
- West on Independence Avenue to 3rd Street, SE
- North on 3rd Street to G Street, NW
- West on G Street, NW to the loading dock at the Verizon Center where they will disband.
Motorists and pedestrians are urged to use caution when traveling in this area due to heavy pedestrian, vehicle, and bus traffic in the above areas.
View the route here: http://bit.ly/DCElephantWalk
For arrival time updates call the Parade Hotline at 1-866-683-3670 or follow on Twitter @DCElephantWalk
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions.
Motorists could encounter possible delays if operating in the vicinity of this event and may wish to consider alternative routes. The Metropolitan Police Department and the D.C. Department of Transportation also wishes to remind motorists in the vicinity of this event to proceed with caution as increased pedestrian traffic can be anticipated.