The Metropolitan Police Department has announced that there will be events taking place<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /?>
in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /?>District of Columbia that will necessitate street closings during the weekend of June 26 and 27, 2010; specific information for the events is listed below.
2010 18th ANNUAL CARIBBEAN CARNIVAL
On Saturday, June 26 and Sunday, June 27, 2010, the District of Columbia will host the 2010 Caribbean Carnival. The parade portion of this event will utilize the entire roadway of Georgia Avenue between Missouri Avenue, NW, and Barry Place, NW. During the course of this parade no traffic will be permitted northbound or southbound on Georgia Avenue, NW, along the parade route. The times, routes and streetclosings of the parade and festival are listed below.
PARADE: SATURDAY, JUNE 26, 2010
· The parade will begin at 11:00 am and may last until approximately 4:00 pm. The parade will start at Georgia and Missouri Avenues, NW, proceed southbound on Georgia Avenue, westbound on V Street, NW, and disband.
· There will be no parking on Georgia Avenue, NW, between Missouri Avenue and V Street, NW, from 12:00 am on Saturday, June 26, 2010 until 8:00 pm.
· Metro Buses will also operate northbound and southbound on an alternate route.
STREET CLOSURES WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:
· Beginning at 7:30 am until 5:00 p.m., Missouri Avenue, NW, from Georgia Avenue to 5th Street, NW and Barry Place from Georgia Avenue to Sherman Avenue, NW
· Beginning at 9:30 am until 5 pm, Georgia Avenue, NW, from Missouri Avenue to Barry Place, NW and V Street, NW, from Georgia Avenue, NW.
· Beginning at 7:30 am until further notice on Sunday, June 27, 2010, 9th Street from Barry Place to Euclid Street, NW
FESTIVAL: SATURDAY, JUNE 26 AND SUNDAY, JUNE 27, 2010
· The festival to be held at Banneker Field will begin on both days at noon and last until approximately 7:00 pm.
· There will be no parking beginning at 6:00 am on Saturday, June 26, 2010, until 6:00 pm on
Sunday, June 27, 2010, at the following locations:
· Barry Place, NW, (both sides of the street) between Georgia Avenue and Sherman Avenue, NW
· 9th Street, NW, between Barry Place and Euclid Street, NW
· Sherman Avenue, NW, between Barry Place and Euclid Street, NW
· V Street, NW, between Georgia Avenue and 9th Street, NW
NATIONAL CAPITAL BARBEQUE BATTLE
Event Dates: Saturday, June 26, 2010 and Sunday, June 27, 2010
Event Locations: Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, between 9th Street and 14th Street, NW
10th Street through 13th Street, between Constitution Avenue and E
Event Time: 11:00 am until 9:00 pm on Saturday, June 26, 201011:00 am until 7:30 pm on Sunday, June 27, 2010
Street Closures: Beginning on Friday, June 25, 2010, at 7:00 pm until 11:59 pm on Sunday, June 27, 2010, Pennsylvania Avenue, NW,between 9th Street and 14th Street, NW and 10th through 13th
Streets, NW, between Constitution Avenue and E Street, NW
Motorists should be aware that during the Caribbean Parade no traffic will be able to cross Georgia Ave., NW from Missouri Avenue, south to Barry Place. Motorists traveling in the area of these events may experience delays and should consider alternative routes if possible. The Metropolitan Police Department and the District Department of Transportation would like to remind motorists to pay full time and attention whenever operating any motor vehicle and to be mindful of heavy pedestrian traffic that may be associated with special events. These street closings are subject to change without notice based upon unanticipated events and prevailing conditions.