The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has provided the following information about scheduled street closures for the Race for Hope 5K run / walk that is scheduled to be held on Sunday, May 5, 2013. The race benefits funding for brain tumor research. In order to facilitate these events there will be no vehicular traffic allowed along the routes of the race. Motorists should expect delays during the race.
The following streets around Freedom Plaza will close at 4:30 am for the set-up of the race and will re-open at 1:00 pm:
- Pennsylvania Avenue NW from 14th Street NW to 12th Street NW
- 13th Street NW from Pennsylvania Avenue NW to E Street NW
Race course route turn by turn listing (street closures along the route of the race will begin at 8:00 am, the race will start at 9:00 am, and all streets will re-open no later than 11:00 am):
- Southeast on Pennsylvania Avenue NW from 12th Street NW to 3rd Street NW (Start)
- South on 3rd Street NW to Independence Avenue SW
- West on Independence SW to 4th Street SW
- South on 4th Street SW to E Street SW
- East on E Street SW to 3rd Street SW
- North on 3rd Street SW to Maryland Avenue NW
- Northeast on Maryland Avenue NW to First Street NW
- North on First Street NW to Constitution Avenue NW
- West on Constitution Avenue NW to Pennsylvania Avenue NW
- Northwest on Pennsylvania Avenue NW to 12th Street NW (Finish)
Note: The surrounding areas and streets leading to this event may be closed or affected.
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions.
Motorists could encounter possible delays if operating in the vicinity of this event and may wish to consider alternative routes. The Metropolitan Police Department and the D.C. Department of Transportation also wishes to remind motorists in the vicinity of this event to proceed with caution as increased pedestrian traffic can be anticipated.
For more information: http://www.braintumorcommunity.org/site/PageServer?pagename=RFH_DC_Homepage