Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) announced today the deployment of six new photo enforced mobile radar locations beginning Friday, February 12, 2010.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /?>
“On the heels of two years in a row of record low traffic fatalities in the city, we intend to continue our commitment to public safety through the use of technology,” said Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier.
The deployment locations for the Mobile Radar Units will continue to be at sites with the highest number of crashes and injuries, calls for police service, and high speed volume. MPD also considered recommendations or requests from the Department of Transportation, Advisory Neighborhood Commissions and civic or citizen associations.
The thirty day educational phase will commence on February 12, 2010 where as violators will receive warning citations. On March 13, 2010, MPD will begin issuing live citations to violating motorists.
The new locations are as follows:
· 1800 block of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /?>C Street NE
· 3500 block of Massachusetts Avenue NW
· 5800 block of New Hampshire Avenue NE
· 5900 block of New Hampshire Avenue NE
· 300 block of Rock Creek Church Road NW
· 1100 block of Michigan Avenue NE
For more information about automated speed enforcement in the District of Columbia, log onto http://mpdc.dc.gov/automatedenforcement .