Welcome to the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles information section for senior drivers. Although much of this information will refer you to other areas of our website, we have also included information that is specific to senior drivers. If there is information that you cannot find on our site or if you have suggestions to improve the information or the layout of the information, please email or contact us at 311 or (202) 737-4404.
If you are 70 years or older you must:
- Renew your driver license in person at a DC DMV Service Center
- Have your physician complete the certification on the driver license application*
- Pass the eye test
If necessary, you may also be issued a 45-day temporary license to allow time to obtain your physician's certification on the driver license application.
We understand that mobility and independence are crucial to all District residents. Therefore, it is our goal to work with you to ensure you can continue to safely drive. In many cases, it may be necessary to restrict driving to daylight hours or to require special equipment on your vehicle. In other cases, your physician may make recommendations to us about ways in which you can continue to drive.
Many of you self-regulate by electing to stop driving when you believe you are no longer able to safely operate a vehicle. If you decide to discontinue driving, we encourage you to exchange your driver license for an identification card (ID). For seniors 65 years and older, identification cards are free of charge.
Older Adult Driver Safety Course
This online course is recommended for drivers age 50 and older as a refresher or to enhance your driving knowledge and skills. Upon receiving a completion certificate, drivers may be eligible to receive discounts on motor vehicle insurance. The online course can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience.
Below is a list of an DC DMV approved course:
Resources for Senior Drivers
The following links provide additional information related to senior drivers:
- DC Office on Aging (See Transportation Services)
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
- AAA Senior Driving Resources
- National Transportation Highway Safety Administration (NTHSA)
- Driving Resources and Safety Tips - Prevent Car Accidents While on the Road Driver Safety AARP
- AARP Fitness-to-Drive Screening Tool
- Driver Safety - Vision Zero Initiative