Introduction: The Human Resources Management Division (HRMD) is responsible for maintaining all of the personnel records for the sworn and civilian members of the Metropolitan Police Department.
Location: 300 Indiana Avenue NW, Suite 6061, Washington, DC 20001
Schedule: The office is open Monday through Friday; 9 am - 5 pm.
Job Title: Management Intern
Reports To: Director Metropolitan Police Department Human Resources Management Division
Program Description: To assist in all areas of the Human Resources Management Division to include Performance Management System, Personnel hiring and terminations, records management, Compensation and classification of employees, benefits to include retirement, health and death benefits administration, FMLA, EEO and ADA requirements, training and work force development, administering the departmental awards program, civilianization projects to ensure applicable policy, Collective bargaining agreements and laws are adhered to and to expose the management intern to working with teams and on projects for the Human Resources Management Division as well as working with leaders in the field of Human Resource Management.
Duties, tasks and assignments:
- Provides professional and courteous customer service at all times
- Experience how Human Resources management operates in a large local government agency with over 4500 employees
- Learn time management and project completion goals while working with a team
- Shadow different managers in the Human Resources Management Division for the Metropolitan Police Department
- Plan and allocate resources to effectively accomplish project goals
- Assist in preparing Human Resource trend and statistical reports on hiring goals, separations and recruiting
- Attend weekly meetings and offer suggestions and feedback to the Director of the Human Resource Management Division
- Completes projects as assigned by the Director
- Learn the fundamental of Performance Rating systems of individual employees
- Witness ethics, compliance and business conduct for the government and agency
- Increase knowledge of computer skills and presentation skills
- Develop interpersonal skills to communicate with employees
- Gain understanding of interpersonal skills when dealing with persons at the work place
- Gain understanding of Human Resource Management Decisions for layoffs, hiring and firing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize own time and activities to meet deadlines and project completion timelines
- Professional appearance
- Understanding of and ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
Accessibility: Public Transportation (Red Lines)
Compensation: All MPD internships are non-paid internships.
Language skills: Must have developed language skills to the point to be able to read newspapers, periodicals, journals and manuals. Must be able to write business letters, summaries and reports using MPD proscribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction and style.
Work Schedule: Work at least 16 hours per week (Spring/Fall) and 24 hours per week (Summer) in the office of the Human Resource Management Division of the Metropolitan Police Department.
Schedule will be flexible based on the student academic schedule
Last Updated: 12/30/2015