New for 2014, Capital Fringe is launching a Site-Specific category for our summer Festival. We will reserve 10 slots in the summer performance calendar for this type of work. We will be accepting proposals from Wednesday, August 14 to Friday, November 1, 2013 5pm EST. The summer Festival runs from July 10 to 27, 2014.
So, what is our Site-Specific category...
• A place for live performance that couldn't take place in a traditional theatre setting.
• An opportunity to animate an unexpected location with performance.
• A mechanism to challenge our shared views of space, place and performance.
• Capital Fringe will work with participants to help secure, run and manage sites during the span of the summer Festival. The participant will be responsible for production elements, producing and creating their project.
• Projects may be open to the public free of charge or operate as a ticketed venue. If tickets are required, the participant will receive 50-70% of the ticket revenue. The ticket split will be based on the venue capacity and the duration of the project.
• A participation fee of up to $575 will be required and the project will be contracted similar to our Fringe Run Venue/Find Your Own Venue participation categories (please visit: https://www.capitalfringe.org/for-artists if you are not familiar). Fee will be determined based on the proposal's needs.
What are we looking for…
Proposals do not need to fit all these categories – that would not be possible – but we want to give you some idea of what we are looking for...
• Projects that are visually compelling.
• Projects that are not conventional theatrical plays or follow a formal linear narrative.
• Interdisciplinary projects involving music, dance, poetry, sound, video and the mixing of performance techniques, traditions and styles.
• Audience-derived or interactive.
• If outside, adaptable to unexpected weather conditions.
• The proposed project must happen during the 2014 summer Fringe Festival.
• Projects must be within the following geographic area: the District of Columbia. Concentrated around the neighborhoods: H Street NE, Union Market and Downtown. Proposed projects outside these neighborhoods will only be considered under very special circumstances.
Once you submit the proposal, if it fits within our guidelines and we are able to help facilitate you securing your desired site, then we will contact you before December 31, 2013. More information gathering and sharing will occur in January 2014. In February 2014, contracts and participation fee will be due and a full participation timeline will be set forth and agreed upon.
In addition to the request for proposal, you will need to provide the following: (Please compile into ONE PDF attachment. Multiple attachments can not be reviewed.)
• Bios and CVs for leading participants on the project.
• Links to things that will visually tell us about you and your work: video, facebook, website, flickr etc.
Please email this attachment once your have completed and submitted your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org - make the subject line the same as the full contact name you submit in the proposal. Example: SITE SPECIFIC PROPOSAL ATTACHMENT: Sara Sanders.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to get in touch: email@example.com or call Monday - Friday 11am to 7pm 202.737.7230, ask for Alex or Julianne.
Submission Deadline: 11/01/2013
Contact Name: Alex or Julianne
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org