The goal of the Department of General Services (DGS) is to ensure the delivery of new or modernized, well-equipped, well-maintained, safe and secure buildings and facilities for the benefit of District residents and employees. Further, the agency’s mission is to promote the efficient and effective management of the District’s real estate investments and interests through strategic portfolio management, construction and facilities management. To this end, DGS will incorporate best management practices from both the public and private sectors where useful.
Summary of Services
The Department of General Services (DGS) carries out a broad range of real estate management functions. In addition to managing capital improvement and construction program for a variety of District government agencies, DGS also executes real property acquisitions by purchase or lease; disposes of property through sale, lease or other authorized method; manages space in buildings and adjacent areas; and provides building management services for facilities owned or operated by the District. Among the services provided are engineering, custodial, security, energy conservation, utility management, general maintenance, inspection, planning, capital repairs and improvement. In all of its endeavors, DGS is dedicated to the following:
- A focused dedication to achieving efficiency in operations;
- A commitment to quality in design and execution;
- An emphasis on excellence in service and maintenance;
- A promise to deliver secure and safe places of work for District employees; and
- A promise to deliver aggressive and attentive management of the District’s resources.