Homestead/Senior Citizen Deduction
Homestead Deduction and Senior Citizen or Disabled Property Owner Tax Relief:
This benefit reduces your real property
An application must be on file with the Office of Tax and Revenue;
The property must be occupied by the owner/applicant and contain no more than five dwelling units (including the unit occupied by the owner); and
The property must be the principal residence (domicile) of the owner/applicant.
If a properly completed and approved application is filed from October 1 to March 31, the property will receive the Homestead benefit for the entire tax year (and for all tax years in the future). If a properly completed and approved application is filed from April 1 to September 30, the property will receive one-half of the benefit reflected on the second-half tax bill (and full deductions for all tax years in the future).
Senior Citizen or Disabled Property Owner Tax Relief
When a property owner turns 65 years of age or older, or when he or she is disabled, he or she may file an application immediately for disabled or senior citizen property tax relief. This benefit reduces a qualified property owner's property tax by 50 percent. If the property owner lives in a cooperative housing association, the cooperative will supply and collect the applications. The following guidelines apply:
- The disabled or senior citizen must own 50 percent or more of the property or cooperative unit;
- The total federal adjusted gross income of everyone living in the property or cooperative unit, excluding tenants, must be less than $125,000 for the prior calendar year; and
- The same requirements for application, occupancy, ownership, principal residence (domicile), number of dwelling units, cooperative housing associations and revocable trusts apply as in the homestead deduction.
- FP-100 Homestead Deduction, Senior Citizen, and Disabled Property Tax Relief Application/Reconfirmation [PDF]
- Homestead and Senior Citizen Tax Benefit Appeal Application [PDF]
- Cancellation of Homestead Deduction [PDF]
- Homestead Reconfirmation Audits [PDF]
- Co-op Housing and Property Transferred to a Trust