Identification Card Renewal
Effective May 1, 2014, DC DMV will implement a REAL ID and Limited Purpose credential. Therefore, online identification card renewals will not be available to residents who do not currently have a REAL ID or Limited Purpose credential. Refer to our identification card renewal webpage for more information.
You may renew your identification card online if you can satisfy all of the online eligibility requirements below. You may also change your address during this transaction. If you can't satisfy all these online requirements, please visit a DMV service location to renew your identification card. Although you can renew your identification card online if it has been expired for less than 90 days, please be aware that an expired identification card may not be accepted for identification by some organizations. However, you will be able to use your online identification card certificate for 45 days from the date of your online renewal transaction until you receive your new identification card in the mail. Note you must keep your current identification card, in addition to the temporary identification card certificate.
If you have:
- A REAL ID or Limited Purpose identification card that expires within the next 60 days
- Your current name on file at the DMV
- Your current address on file at the DMV. If you need to change your address, you may do so during this online identification card renewal transaction. The DMV will mail your identification card to your current address on file at the DMV.
- Your identification card number, first name, last name, social security number, and date of birth.
- A valid credit card. The DMV accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. DC government does not accept American Express.
And, you haven't:
- Recently changed your name and not updated the information with DMV.
Online Identification Card Renewal Five-Step Overview
Online Identification Card Renewal: Within 10 business days, DMV will mail your identification card to your address of record.