It is very stressful to be in an abusive relationship and live in a violent home. You may feel powerless, but here are some things you can do to ensure your and your children’s safety. A Safety Plan may look overwhelming, but simply reading it over and thinking about the suggestions can be helpful.
You can personalize the following safety plans by filling in the blanks. Be sure to keep this information in a safe place where your abuser can’t find it (for example, at a friend’s house, your workplace, or in a locked safe). Samples of a safety plan to cover different circumstances you may find yourself in are located in the safety planning section.
- Civil Protection Order [PDF]
- Safety Plan If You Are in a Relationship with an Abuser [PDF]
- Safety Plan When Preparing To Leave a Relationship [PDF]
- Safety Plan for After You Leave [PDF]
- Safety at Work and in Public [PDF]
- For Teens in a Violent Dating Relationship [PDF]
- Safety Plan for Your Emotional Health [PDF]
For additional domestic violence information:
Domestic Violence Unit
300 Indiana Avenue, NW, Room 3156
Phone: (202) 727-7137
Fax: (202) 727-6491