DC Car Seat Fitting Stations
Scheduling a Safety Seat Fitting
Individuals interested in having their child safety seat fitted may do so at the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), Children's Hospital or through the Department of Motor Vehicles. Information about scheduling appointments is included in the contact information below.
Each child safety seat check/installation may take as little as 10 minutes or as long as 50 minutes, depending on the car seat, the vehicle, or the number of seats to install.
Metropolitan Police Department, Traffic Safety and Specialized Enforcement Branch
501 New York Ave., NW Washington, DC 20001
Officer Arlinda Page (202) 724-8008
Call or email to schedule appointment
Department of Motor Vehicles, Vehicle Inspection Station
(Based on a first-come, first-served basis)
1001 Half St., SW Washington, DC 20024 (202) 645-4300
Tuesday/Wednesday: 7 am - 3 pm
District Division of Transportation, Transportation Safety Branch
55 M Street, SE washington, DC
No installation or inspection services at this site.
Does Your Child Need a Booster Seat?
Did you know that most children need to ride in a booster seat from age 4 to at least age 8? This test is a quick and easy way to determine if a booster seat is needed.
- Does the child sit all the way back against the back of the auto seat?
- Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the front edge of the auto seat?
- Does the lap belt cross the child's shoulder between the neck and the arms?
- Is the lap portion of the lap/shoulder belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
- Can the child stay seated like this for the entire trip?
If you have answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to ride safely in the car.