Preparing for Hurricanes or Severe Weather
The MPD Harbor Patrol offers the following tips for preparing for hurricanes or other severe weather:
- Double the mooring lines on your vessel. Add additional fenders.
- Take down all deck canvas such as Biminis, sea hoods, covers, flags and antennas. Remove all loose equipment on your vessel.
- Sailboats should have their sails taken down and stored.
- Live aboards should ensure that they have fuel in the event they must run on a generator. Make sure they have extra batteries for flashlights and cell phones.
- As in any boating environment, if you are going to be on or around the water, wear your life jacket.