Replace a Vehicle Title
A duplicate vehicle title may be obtained online to replace a lost or stolen title by visiting any DMV service location or by mailing all of the following required documents along with applicable fees to the DC DMV, P.O. Box 90120, Washington, DC, 20090.
- Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application [PDF] (must be signed by all owners)
- Valid Photo Identification of Vehicle Owners
- Vehicle Information - at least one of the following items to identify your vehicle:
- Vehicle renewal notice
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle identification number
- DC title number
- Vehicle tag number
All titles will be mailed within 10 days of processing. Titles are not issued over the counter.
To obtain a duplicate title once a lien has been satisfied please bring any one of the following documents:
- Letter of financing on company letterhead stating that the lien is satisfied
- Loan agreement stamped "paid" by the financial institution and certified by an appropriate party.
- Title stamped with lien release from the financial institution.
To replace an existing DC title due to an incorrect vehicle identification number (VIN), it is required to bring any one of the following documents:
- VIN correction from DC inspection station
- VIN correction letter on letterhead from another state's motor vehicle agency