Already a sworn police officer with at least three (3) years of experience? MPD is searching for eligible candidates for our Experienced Officer Program!
Click on the image above to submit an Interest Card for the Experienced Officer Program.
The Experienced Officer Program offers qualified applicants the ability to join the Metropolitan Police Department through an abbreviated (approximately 11 week) police academy training program, based upon their prior law enforcement training. The police officer background investigation process can take approximately four to six months. Applicants must complete two things in any order before moving forward in the selection process:
- Complete an interest card and attend a web-based orientation (information provided by email).
- Pass the written multiple-choice test (select "Experienced Officer Program" option).
Visit: www.nationaltestingnetwork.com to apply and select a testing location
Starting Salary Information: $55,362 (starting salary as of October 2, 2016)
After a period of one year members earn $58,130; and after successful completion of the 18 month probationary period members earn $60,571. Recruits begin earning their full salary upon entering the Academy. A top step officer can earn $98,576 after 25 years of service. Officers who work the evening tour of duty receive a three percent pay differential. Officers working the midnight shift receive a four percent differential.
- Possess a valid driver’s license at the time of application
- Pass a police officer selection multiple-choice test
- Pass a physical ability test
- Submit to a polygraph examination
- Pass a medical examination, including a drug-screening
- Pass a psychological examination
- Possess a high moral character for carrying out law enforcement duties
- Currently employed or have been employed within one year of the date of application by a full service police department in a municipality or a state within the United States.
- Have not been fired or have any sustained adverse actions from current/former law enforcement agency.
Have the following:
- Three (3) years of law enforcement experience with a full service police department and with full powers of arrest.
Acknowledge the following:
- All Experienced Officer candidates must successfully complete each stage of the pre-employment background investigative process.
- The availability of one’s personnel file from current or former law enforcement agency is necessary.
- Recent performance evaluations from current or former law enforcement agency must demonstrate acceptable performance and an absence of adverse actions.
- Successfully pass a general law enforcement knowledge test administered by the MPD Training Academy to ensure basic law enforcement knowledge and proficiency to continue in the Experienced Officer Program.
- Successfully pass the Cooper Physical Fitness Standards test.